And when it rains on your parade, look up rather than down. Without the rain, there would be no rainbow. ~GK Chesterton

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thanksgiving In January!!

        Nick and I have three other roommates living in our new house. So, there are five of us total...and we are all pretty spontaneous/crazy. Yesterday we woke up to find one of them, Melanie, had just come home from W*lmart with enough food to feed more than a few households. She explained that it was her day off and since everyone was going to be off of work and home by four, she was making a Thanksgiving dinner. And she did! 12-pound turkey, mashed potatoes, two kinds of stuffing (plain and with cranberries and walnuts), green bean casserole, gravy, sweet potatoes with pineapple and marshmallows, biscuits, and cornbread. Oh my goodness, YUM! We all sat down to the dining room table and enjoyed dinner with some friends. It was really nice to feel like a little family. Melanie turned to me at one point and said, "You guys are my family. I hope you enjoy the food." So sweet. Needless to say, we love her.


After dinner, we cleaned up and sat down to watch a little TV. Since everyone knows I prefer to bake, I was in charge of dessert. When you think Thanksgiving, you think pies. Yes? But I needed something simpler since Mel had commandeered the kitchen for the day. So I decided to make individual apple pies instead. It is SUCH an easy recipe, and pretty popular! Here you go!

Fried Apple Pies
Ingredients
-2 tablespoons butter
-4 apples peeled, cored, and sliced or 1 can apple pie filling
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1 teaspoon lemon juice
-1 (8-piece) container refrigerated flaky biscuit dough
-2 tablespoons water
-powdered sugar

Directions
Filling: add butter to large saucepan and melt. Add the apples, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until apples are soft (about 15 minutes). Remove and cool.


Once apples are cool, roll biscuits out to 7-8inch circular rounds on a lightly floured surface. Place 2-3 tablespoons of filling onto each round. Brush edges with water. Fold circle over filling to make a half-moon. Seal by pressing edges with tines of a fork.

Pre-heat deep fryer with oil to 350 degrees F. 

Add pies to oil one at a time. Fry until golden brown. Turn as necessary (approx. 5-8mins)

Drain with paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with vanilla ice cream. 

*I don't own a deep fryer. We are NOT huge fans of fried food. So I simply heated oil in a pot. 
*Be careful with the sugar. These pies are sweet. I recommend Granny Smith apples to ease the sweetness. 
*If you like your pies bulging with apples (I definitely do), I would use 5-6 apples.





Roommates and friends after dinner (minus Erik)


2 comments:

  1. It all sounds so wonderful! I am happy that you guys can all be a little family together! And the pies sound sinfully yummy. I LOVED the picture at the end. It's good to see where you are living. I miss you both so much!!

    Love and hugs,

    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicholas Donald Martell, put your shirt down!

    ReplyDelete